Pray for Rain

>> Wednesday, December 2, 2009


Today I am sitting in my office listening to the wind blow and anxiously awaiting a storm that is going to hit sometime tonight. I love storms. I am a little bummed out because it looks like we are going to miss the majority of the rain and thunderstorms and I was hoping to fall asleep tonight to the loud sounds and rumbles that a good storm brings. I am sitting here thinking about the storms and trials James talks about in the New Testament. He tells us to consider it pure joy when we face trials of many kinds because we know that the testing of our faith develops perseverance and perseverance must finish its work so that we may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. I can sit here and say I can't wait for this storm to hit because I love going through a good thunderstorm. I have been telling my co-workers all day that I am excited about this storm. How awesome would it be if I were as excited to encounter storms of life in this same way? I try to avoid them at all costs because they are scary and they make me uncomfortable. I look at things differently when I am going through a storms in life. The unknown, the intense pressure, the high winds that blow me around, the rain that pelts me and gets my shoes all wet, the lightning that jolts me, the thunder that reminds me this storm is bigger than I am. All these things in life send me for cover and I fins myself praying for the storm to pass with as minimal damage as possible. James tells us that these trials and these storms are building something in me that can only come about because I persevere through the storm. I think about what God has for me later down the road and I dwell on the dreams in my heart that He has put there and I wonder how in the world can He use me or accomplish those things through me. Then I remember this verse and realize that I will be mature and complete and not lack anything when I persevere through a storm. If I never went through it, my roots wouldn't have a chance to sink down deep. I need the storms and trials of life. I am thinking about going to cheer camp this summer so that the next time I face a storm or trial in life I can do a few flips and cheers so I can welcome it with pure joy.

3 comments:

Kimberly December 2, 2009 at 7:54 PM  

Good thoughts, Connie. I've been reminded recently about no having to fear the storms in my life. God's a lot bigger and has it all under control. Hope you fall asleep to thunder tonight!

lori bunk December 2, 2009 at 9:30 PM  

i wanna go to cheer camp!!!!

loved this... so good!

Jackie April 5, 2011 at 11:04 PM  

I seem to be having torrential rain and storms in my life just now. It has been a particularly hard week for the entire family this past couple of weeks, and tonight it seemed that God led me directly to this blog to help give me strength from your article "Pray for Rain". I know that God knows what he is doing, but sometimes, it seems like we get hit harder than we can endure. Thank you for the wonderful article, it will make me sleep a little sounder this evening.

About This Blog

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP